Results: 4 servings
2 Mixing bowls
Large sauce pan or pot (mixing bowl must fit for water bath)
Small sauce pan
Large rubber spatula
6 oz. bittersweet chocolate
1/3 cup whole milk
1 egg yolk
4 egg whites
2 Tbsp sugar
1. Chop chocolate into small pieces and place in a mixing bowl.
2. Simmer water in pot.
3. Place the bowl over a simmering water bath. Make sure the bowl is not touching the water and the water is kept to a simmer.
4. Take off the heat when the chocolate is melted.
5. Gently bring the milk to a boil in a small sauce pan.
6. Remove from heat and pour over the melted chocolate and slowly whisk.
7. Add the egg yolk and whisk until fully incorporated.
8. Whip eggs whites on medium speed until they reach a soft peak (a light texture).
9. Increase to medium high and gradually add sugar in a slow steady stream until egg whites are firm and glossy.
10. The chocolate mixture should be cool by the time the egg whites are ready.
11. Add 1/3 of whites to chocolate mixture and gently whisk to combine and lighten the chocolate mixture.
12. Switch to a large rubber spatula and gently fold in remaining 2/3 egg whites until there are no streaks.
13. Pour into individual servings or a large bowl.
14. Chill for about two hours minimum (the longer it chills, the denser it becomes).
15. Serve topped with raspberries or blackberries if desired.
Original recipe from: