2 Medium mixing bowls
Ice cream freezer
Glass or plastic freezable containers
8 egg yolks
1/2 cup of cane sugar (half white, half crystallized cane juice)
2 cups organic whipping cream
1 vanilla bean (scraped, discard husk)
Ice (to half fill mixing bowl)
1/2 tsp. bourbon vanilla
1/2 tsp. Mexican vanilla
1. Place ice and water in a mixing bowl.
2. Combine egg yolks with sugar in a second mixing bowl.
3. Whisk thoroughly.
4. Heat whipping cream in a small saucepan until it begins to boil (175 F).
5. Remove cream from heat.
5. Add vanilla bean seeds.
6. Whisk a small amount of the hot cream to the eggs (trying to not scramble the eggs). This will temper the eggs and help pasteurize the eggs.
7. Whisk eggs into saucepan
8. Place saucepan in the ice water bowl, whisking until cold (40 F).
9. Strain to remove any cooked egg, large bits of vanilla, or undissolved sugar.
10. Mix in the bourbon vanilla and the Mexican vanilla
11. Put custard in ice cream freezer (follow directions for your brand).
12. Quickly remove custard to containers (smaller ones freeze faster).
13. Cover with plastic wrap (pressing the plastic to the surface of the custard to eliminate air contact with the surface of the custard).
14. Store in freezer.