Results: 20 servings
Oven (preheat to 350F)
8" x 8" baking pan
4 ounces fat-free cream cheese
1/3 cup sugar
1 egg white
4 teaspoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
3/4 cup flaked coconut
1/4 cup whole-wheat flour
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
4 egg whites
1 (2 1/2-ounce) jar baby-food prunes
1/3 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
1/4 cup toasted chopped almonds
1 tablespoon mini chocolate chips, melted
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Lightly coat an 8x8-inch baking pan with nonstick vegetable-oil spray.
A. Macaroon Topping
1. Mix the cream cheese, sugar, egg white, flour, and coconut extract until smooth. 2. Stir in the flaked coconut.
3. Set aside.
1. In a large bowl, combine the whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, sugar, cocoa powder, and baking powder.
2. In a medium bowl, beat the egg whites until foamy.
3. Add the baby-food prunes, buttermilk, and vanilla to the beaten egg whites.
4. Add the egg white mixture to the flour mixture and mix until blended.
5. Stir in the chocolate chips and almonds.
6. Spread the batter in the prepared baking pan.
1. Spread the macaroon topping over the brownie batter.
2. Bake 25 to 30 minutes.
3. Let cool, in the pan, on a wire rack.
4. Drizzle with the melted chocolate chips.
(Decorative tip: Swirl a toothpick through the melted chips after drizzling them on the brownies.)
Original recipe from: