Results: 12 servings
9-by-13-inch baking dish
2 pounds (6 cups) strawberries (hulled, halved if large)
1-1/2 cups sugar
7 large egg whites
2/3 cup cold heavy cream
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
If you have concerns about serving uncooked egg whites, replace them with pasteurized egg whites, which can be found in the dairy aisle.
1. In a blender, combine strawberries, 3/4 cup sugar and pinch of salt, and purée until smooth.
2. Pour into a 9-by-13-inch baking dish.
3. Transfer to freezer and scrape with a fork every 30 minutes until mixture is thick and slushy, about 2 hours.
4. Smooth top with a rubber spatula.
5. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat egg whites on high until foamy.
6. With electric mixer on medium, gradually add 3/4 cup sugar.
7. Increase speed to high and beat until stiff, glossy peaks form, about 3 minutes.
8. In another medium bowl, beat cream and vanilla on high until stiff peaks form, about 1 minute to 2 minutes.
9. With rubber spatula, gently fold whipped cream into egg white mixture.
10. Pour over strawberry mixture and smooth top with rubber spatula.
11. Freeze until firm, about 4 hours (or, covered, up to 3 days), before cutting into 12 squares.
Original recipe from: